1. justpassingthru

justpassingthru No Rest For The Wicked Banned!

2-2 Russia/USA with under 7 to go in the second period. The Americans just tied it with a great breakout pass from their goalie.

Edit: 3-2 USA with 3 to go

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. justpassingthru

3-3 with 7 to go.

Just a note: The Americans have never beaten the Russians in the medal rounds in the WJHC, they are 0-7.

If the game ends tied after regulation there will be one 10 minute overtime before a shootout.

3. justpassingthru

Overtime solves nothing so here we go with the shootout as the USA will go first even though the Russians won the coin toss and deferred (as it were).

Fuck me, the Russian goalie stopped the first 3 USA shots.

Still tied 2-2 after 10 shots. Change ends and flip the order.

The USA comes back to score on their last 3 shots and will play for gold against either Canada or Sweden.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. justpassingthru

I have to give full marks to the USA scout that pointed out that the only way to beat the Russian goalie was through the 5 hole which they did after a slow start.

Canada and Sweden play in just over 90 minutes.

5. justpassingthru

Canada and Sweden are tied 2-2 early in the 2nd period.

6. justpassingthru

3-2 Canada after 2 periods.

7. justpassingthru

Other than the current score another great thing about this game is that both goalies are standing on their heads making incredible saves and both goalies are the property of my Philadelpia Flyers. :D

Edit: 4-2 Canada on a 4on4

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  8. justpassingthru

With an empty net goal with under 2 minutes Canada takes the game 5-2 and will play the USA for the Gold Medal.

Sweden and Russia will play for the Bronze.

Excuse me for a couple minutes while I stand for the Canadian National Anthem. ;)

9. justpassingthru

The USA beat Canada in a shootout win to take the World Junior Hockey Championship.

Congrats to all involved and Silver is not Gold but better than Bronze if that is any consolation for Canada.

Russia beat Sweden 2-1 in overtime to take the Bronze.

10. justpassingthru

The 2018 WJHC will be held outdoor in Buffalo NY ...

11. justpassingthru

12. justpassingthru

13. justpassingthru

14. justpassingthru

15. justpassingthru

16. justpassingthru

Blue Jackets winning streak ends at 16 games
    Capitals shut out Columbus to deny record-tying victory

[​IMG]
    WASHINGTON -- The Washington Capitals ended the Columbus Blue Jackets' 16-game winning streak with a 5-0 victory at Verizon Center on Thursday.

The streak was the second-longest in NHL history, one behind the Pittsburgh Penguins, who won 17 in a row during the 1992-93 season.

"You can't win 'em all," Columbus forward Brandon Dubinsky said. "We had a heck of a run there and I'm proud of each and every guy. Guys have stepped up different nights. It's a tough feeling right now because it's a big game and I thought we had some guys that really played well tonight."

Sergei Bobrovsky made 18 saves for Columbus (27-6-4). His 14-game winning streak ended when he was pulled in the third period after allowing five goals on 23 shots. Curtis McElhinney made four saves in relief.

"Quite honestly I thought the first 30 minutes we were a good hockey club," Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella said. "We played well. We couldn't find a way on [Braden] Holtby, he made some great saves at key times, and then we kind of lost ourselves. ... I'm proud of the team. We're a good hockey team. They'll get a day off tomorrow and we'll get whacking at it again …"

Holtby made 29 saves for his fourth shutout of the season. Daniel Winnik, John Carlson, Nate Schmidt, Andre Burakovsky and Justin Williams scored for the Capitals (24-9-5), who are 7-2-2 in their past 11 home games.

"I wanted to stop the streak," Williams said. "Who wouldn't want to stop a streak? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it, for sure. We got some big goals and some big saves. Was it a 5-0 game? No, I don't think so, but we turned it into that with some timely goaltending and some timely goals."

17. justpassingthru

Many fun possibilities in NHL’s All-Star 3-on-3 tournament

When you have an event called the All-Star Game and you’re bringing it to Los Angeles, it’s vital not to leave the most important thing at home.

The stars.

That shouldn’t be a problem for the NHL later this month based on the list of 44 selections unveiled Tuesday.

It amounts to a fine mix of young phenoms – Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine – and the mainstays who have soaked up most of the league’s national attention for a decade: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Evgeni Malkin.

The 3-on-3 tournament offers some intriguing possibilities, with Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin joined on the same Metropolitan Division team along with fellow former first overall picks John Tavares and Taylor Hall.

Pity the goalies.

The biggest plague on the all-star festivities in recent years has been no-shows. Toews and Ovechkin each accepted a one-game suspension last year rather than spending the weekend in Nashville, joining a list of players previously punished for skipping out that includes Crosby, Nicklas Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk.

However, a recent change to the NHL’s schedule should further disincentivize it from happening during this Jan. 27-29 all-star weekend. With every team now being granted a five-day winter break – a concession from the league to the NHLPA for switching all-star formats – marquee players have been a given a chance to vacation or rest that had previously been unavailable to them.

While some legitimate injuries are bound to come up in the weeks ahead – Laine, the Winnipeg Jets super rookie, is questionable because of the concussion he suffered last weekend – the phantom ones should be much less of an issue.

Giving the players a chance to spend a couple days in California rather than a more wintery locale won’t hurt, either.

It promises to be a special weekend with the league tying in its centennial celebrations. The 66 members of the NHL’s greatest 100 players list who played in the modern era are all expected to be in attendance.

Then there is a skills competition and 3-on-3 tournament at Staples Center with the stars of today.

The captains for each divisional team – Crosby, McDavid, Carey Price and P.K. Subban – were selected by fan balloting. The remaining 40 players were filled out by the NHL’s hockey operations department.

With every NHL team needing to be represented it made for some tough choices. Artemi Panarin, the league’s sixth-leading scorer, didn’t make the cut in the Central Division because four of his Blackhawks teammates did.

Cam Atkinson, Jakub Voracek and Phil Kessel are among the other top point-getters who weren’t chosen, but it’s hard to quibble with the guys picked ahead of them.

Yes, this promises to be an all-star weekend overrun with stars. And there’s every reason to believe they’re going to show up.

---

Here’s a complete list of the NHL’s 2017 all-star selections:

Metropolitan (Captain Crosby)
    G-Sergei Bobrovsky, Columbus
    G-Braden Holtby, Washington
    D-Justin Faulk, Carolina
    D-Ryan McDonagh, N.Y. Rangers
    D-Seth Jones, Columbus
    F-Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh
    F-Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh
    F-Alexander Ovechkin, Washington
    F-John Tavares, N.Y. Islanders
    F-Wayne Simmonds, Philadelphia
    F-Taylor Hall, New Jersey

Atlantic (Captain Price)
    G-Carey Price, Montreal
    G-Tuukka Rask, Boston
    D-Victor Hedman, Tampa
    D-Shea Weber, Montreal
    D-Erik Karlsson, Ottawa
    F-Frans Nielsen, Detroit
    F-Nikita Kucherov, Tampa
    F-Vincent Trocheck, Florida
    F-Auston Matthews, Toronto
    F-Kyle Okposo, Buffalo
    F-Brad Marchand, Boston

Pacific (Captain McDavid)
    G-Martin Jones, San Jose
    G-Mike Smith, Arizona
    D-Cam Fowler, Anaheim
    D-Brent Burns, San Jose
    D-Drew Doughty, Los Angeles
    F-Ryan Kesler, Anaheim
    F-Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary
    F-Connor McDavid, Edmonton
    F-Jeff Carter, Los Angeles
    F-Bo Horvat, Vancouver
    F-Joe Pavelski, San Jose

Central (Captain Subban)
    G-Devan Dubynk, Minnesota
    G-Corey Crawford, Chicago
    D-Ryan Suter, Minnesota
    D-Duncan Keith, Chicago
    D-P.K. Subban, Nashville
    F-Patrick Kane, Chicago
    F-Jonathan Toews, Chicago
    F-Tyler Seguin, Dallas
    F-Vladimir Tarasenko, St. Louis
    F-Patrik Laine, Winnipeg
    F-Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado

18. justpassingthru

McDavid: Can’t picture Olympics without NHL players

Connor McDavid doesn’t want his next crack at best-on-best international competition to wait until the 2020 World Cup of Hockey.

He wants to be in South Korea next January helping lead Canada’s quest for a third consecutive Olympic gold medal.

“One hundred per cent. NHL players should be there,” McDavid said Sunday. “I certainly hope they are there. One hundred per cent they should go. I can’t picture the Olympics without it.”

Normally reserved and deferential to the league’s more tenured spokesmen, McDavid took a clear position and lent his voice to a seemingly concerted vocal campaign by players to participate in a sixth straight Winter Olympics.

The spin cycle is humming at full speed with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman saying over the weekend that his update to the league’s board of governors on the Olympics lasted “approximately 10 seconds.” The puck drops in PyeongChang in 375 days, one year from Feb. 9.

For months,

has stood by his claim to leave the Washington Capitals midseason to play for Russia if the NHL decides against participating.

Blackhawks captain

went as far as saying the NHL “would be misrepresenting our sport on a pretty huge scale” if they stay home. Toews’ strong comments after Sunday’s all-star game followed his agent, CAA Sports’ Pat Brisson, voiced his frustration over a lack of Olympic cooperation in December.

“Quite frankly, I think to turn on the Olympics next year and watch hockey teams or the players representing their countries, if it’s not the best in the world, I don’t know,” Toews said. “I don’t think you can really compare it to the World Cup or the world championships. The Olympics are a whole other thing … I think the NHL should be in the Olympics.”

McDavid played for Team North America, the under-24 entry, at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. He said having a shot to play for Team Canada at the Olympics “would be everything.”

“Just to get a chance to chase down a spot on the team and have that opportunity, it would be very special,” McDavid said. “But we’re very fortunate in Canada to have a long list of great Canadian players. It’d be a tough team to make.”

McDavid acknowledged “it isn’t up to him” to make a decision on the Olympics. Yet, with the power and influence that he already wields within the sport at age 20, his voice - and the voice of other superstars like

- can only help exert pressure on the NHL to attend. That seemingly isn’t lost on McDavid and the NHL’s Players’ Association.

But this isn’t as simple as a negotiation between the NHLPA and the NHL. The IIHF, whose president Rene Fasel is stuck in the middle, is responsible for bartering on behalf of the two parties with the International Olympic Committee.

Fasel has secured the funding, he said, to cover travel costs, accommodations, player contract insurance and hospitality for the tournament - which the IOC has otherwise refused to pay - as they did in 2014 in Sochi.

The lack of funding made the Olympics a non-starter with Bettman and the NHL previously. But Bettman has kept the target moving, saying now the next step is contingent on a breakdown of the source of the funds.

“So whether or not it gets paid, and we haven't been assured that it's being paid, we haven't been told where the money is coming from,” Bettman said Saturday. “And frankly, I have on some level, perhaps it's emotional, a real problem if money that would otherwise go to hockey development is being diverted for this purpose.”

19. justpassingthru

Oh btw the All Star game went this weekend and was quite entertaining but back to reality on Tuesday as the NHL resumes and things are heating up ...

Screenshot_37.jpg

20. justpassingthru